Premier Colts beat Brothers 31-29 in Finals

Nic Darveniza


The University of Queensland Premier Colts are 2017 Champions of Queensland.

University played with 14 men for 40 minutes of the 70 minute clash but found the strength to topple the favourites on Ballymore’s main field in an epic Grand Final performance.

It took every minute of the allocated time to find a winner, but when the smoke cleared the Red Heavies were ahead 31-29.

Brothers had one final chance to steal the win with a wide penalty upon full-time but failed to convert the difficult chance.

For club director of rugby Cameron McIntosh, who departs the club after seven years of service, words couldn’t describe his pride.

“If you ever wanted to find an example of how rugby builds character in young men, you won’t find better than what you saw today,” McIntosh said.

“These boys gave absolutely 110% today, and to play missing a man for as long as they did and to win is just incredible.”

“I’ve been at the club for a number of years now and been involved in six Grand Finals as a coach, but that ranks as one of the absolute gutsiest wins ever.”

University mirrored their Preliminary Final win over Wests with a devastating opening blast, crossing for two tries to hooker Sean Farrell and fullback Kye Oates in the first 15 minutes.

Brothers luck started to swing, snatching an intercept on midfield and crossing the goal line only to be stopped by an epic Oates try-saving tackle.

Ruled to be illegal, the match referee awarded Brothers a penalty try and the floodgates teetered open.

A charged-down Brethren chip and chase attempt moments later fell straight into the path of Brethren scrumhalf Reuben Wall to score.

Brothers were soon in for a third try to take their lead to 22-17, leaving University in a precarious hole.

The Heavies pulled up their socks, and excellent carries from Kye Oates, Sam Wallis and James McMillan set the stage for centre Tony Hunt to crash through, snatching back the lead upon half-time.

The Red Heavies continued to improve as the second half stretched on, crossing with a pick and drive try to Sean Farrell to forge a nine-pt buffer.

Inside centre Kalala Meni was shown a controversial red card for a driving tackle and Brothers soon capitalised, slipping by on the left wing before trailing a pass inside for flyhalf Liam Richman to score in the 52nd minute.

The Red Heavies kept their opposition pinned inside their 22m for the remainder of the half, negating their numbers disadvantage by piling the pressure upon Brothers.

A penalty whistle upon full-time gave Brothers the chance to win it with a difficult kick, eight metres from the sideline and 38m out from the goal-line.

As spectators crept to the edge of their seats the kick sailed wide, handing the Red Heavies their first Premier Colts title since 2015.

University 31 (Tries: Sean Farrell (2), Kye Oates, Tony Hunt; Cons: Kye Oates (4); Pens: Kye Oates) defeated Brothers 29 (Tries: Penalty Try, Reuben Walll (2), Liam Richman; Cons: Liam Richman (3); Pens: Liam Richman)