The University of Queensland Rugby Football Club, although recently incorporated, was founded in 1911. Since then the Club has seen several thousands of young men and women enjoy the game of Rugby and develop many friendships.
The Club is the most successful Brisbane Club having won 24 First Grade Premierships throughout its decorated past. The Club is affiliated with the Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) which is one of the member unions of the Australian Rugby Union (ARU). The Club is also affiliated with The University of Queensland and has a relationship with local junior club, the Kenmore Bears.
The University of Queensland Rugby Club provides an environment where excellence and academic achievements are encouraged and extolled. Throughout the years, the Club has established a proud Rugby tradition of great camaraderie, mateship and enjoyment which has significantly contributed to its ongoing success both on and off the field.
Many of the Club’s players have been rewarded with representative honours whilst others have further contributed to the game as coaches, managers or administrators. More than 210 University players have represented Queensland with 60 having been selected for Australia (ten as captain).
– Wallaby Captains: Stephen Moore, James Horwill, Nathan Sharpe, Michael Lynagh, Geoffrey Shaw, Mark Loane, Charles Wilson, Keith Winning, Vayro Wilson and James Clark.
In terms of elite coaches, the following have represented the Club at the highest level:
– Wallaby coaches: Bob Templeton and Jake Howard
– Queensland coaches: Mark McBain and Jeff Miller
– Other Super 15 coaches: David Nucifora and Nick Stiles
Past players including Norbert Byrne, David Crombie, Dick Marks, Leo Williams and David Usasz have also made a mark on the game with their time served on the Boards of the Queensland Rugby Union and/or the Australian Rugby Union whilst Steve Wilson is a current member of the QRU Board having joined in March 2006.
Moving forward, the Club enjoyed rich success in 2014, retaining the Doughty Shield (Club championship across all grades) for the fifth year in a row. The emergence of talented young players is very encouraging as is evidenced by the following 2015 selections;
– Wallabies: Stephen Moore, James Horwill, James Hanson, Tevita Kuridrani
– Australian 7’s: Con Foley, Nick Malouf
– Queensland Reds: James Horwill, James Hanson, David McDuling, Sef Faagase, Curtis Browning, JJ Taulagi, Adam Korczyk, Scott Gale, Tom Banks.
– National Rugby Championship: Tom Pincus, Curtis Browning, David, McDuling, JJ Taulagi, Jack De Guingand, Scott Gale, Will Thompson, Tim Buchanan, Sef Faagase, Harry Parker, James Dalgleish, Mitch Wade, Adam Korczyk
– Australian Under 20: Aaron Pleash, Adam Korczyk, James Dalgleish
– Queensland Under 20: Aaron Pleash, Adam Korczyk, James Dalgleish, Conor Moroney, Josh Webb, Angus Scott-Young, Sam Edwards, Shambeckler Vui.
The Club is located on The University of Queensland St Lucia campus where is has its own Clubhouse and the use of three illuminated fields. The Club is administered by a committee of honorary members who are assisted by full time staff and coaches.