University of Queensland Rugby Union Foundation Trust (Foundation) is a charitable trust established in 1994 to provide money to The University of Queensland (UQ), to further the sport of Rugby Union football by enabling UQ, through its sporting club University of Queensland Rugby Football Club Inc. (Club), to enhance its students’ general health and welfare and community participation through playing the sport of Rugby Union football; the Foundation is registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC).
About the Foundation
- It is administered by 14 highly credentialled, unpaid Trustees (13 of whom are alumni of UQ and the Club) – click here for particulars of the Trustees
- The Trustees raise money from the public, manage and invest the trust monies prudentially (after taking professional advice) in accordance with the Trust Deed and governing legislation (including the requirements of the ACNC and the Australian Taxation Office)
- The Foundation’s target is to have a Fund of $10 million, the earnings of which will drive the purposes for which it was established. At 30 September, 2020, the Foundation’s net assets were A$ 2,900,000
- Donors to the Foundation receive a tax deduction for 100% of the full amount of their donation
- Annually, the Foundation distributes to UQ (which passes it on to the Club) no less than 4% of its net assets at the preceding 30th September balance date; in 2020 this was $132,000
- The Foundation’s accounts are audited annually and are sent to ACNC
- The Foundation has authorised the committee members of the Club and its General Manager to raise donations for the Foundation
- The Club was founded in 1911. Since then the Club has seen many thousands of men and women enjoy the game of Rugby Union at UQ and the fine rugby traditions and great camaraderie and mateship. This has resulted in many successes on the rugby field and developed members, as individuals, in an environment where the tradition of Scienta ac Labore (by means of knowledge and hard work] is encouraged and extolled.
- The contributions of preceding members of the Club have been both visionary and selfless; however, the Club is meeting stiffer opposition from other clubs and it needs to be ambitious if it wishes to remain a leading rugby institution in Australia
- In 2021, the Club’s rugby activities included: fielding twelve senior 15’s teams in the QRU club competition, having an elite Women’s 7’s Program, men’s and women’s 7s, junior affiliate clubs and Junior Heavies, coaching and development, international and domestic rugby tours, an inclusive rugby program and operating an Academy
- The Club employs staff and coaches to deliver it rugby operations
- The Club has further ambitions including employing Development Officer’s in the Western suburbs to drive participation, bi-annual overseas tours, growing international networks (for example with Tokyo’s Toyo University last year), mental health support and others
- These activities and ambitions will cost money; the Club has to raise all its revenue; financial assistance from Rugby Australia/QRU has ceased with funding now flowing in the other direction via a component of player Registrations diverted to both RA and the QRU.
- The Club’s primary sources of revenue are events, sponsorship, registrations and the distributions flowing from the Foundation;
- The Club will assist the Trustees in raising money for the Foundation; it has formed a cross-generational sub-committee to drive engagement and develop awareness of the great and essential contribution the Foundation makes – and to raise funds.
HOW TO MAKE A DONATION
If you wish to make a donation, you have the following options:
- Click here and download the Donation Form and return it to the Foundation.
- Click here and donate online
- Direct deposit funds to the UQ Rugby Union Foundation Trust bank account and email email@example.com that you have done so:
Bank – Macquarie Bank
BSB – 182512
Account Number – 961841285
- Send a cheque made out to UQ Rugby Union Foundation Trust
Please return Booking Form or cheque to UQ Rugby Club, PO Box 6121, St Lucia QLD 4067.
If you wish to speak to someone about making such a donation you may contact one or more of the following people:
Mark Anderson (Trustee of the Foundation) – 0416 234 278
Jason Greenhalgh (General Manager of the Club) – 0400 716 166
Bruce Brown (Chairman of Trustees of the Foundation) – 0418 785 641
Eric Anning (Trustee and Secretary of the Foundation) – 0412 613 415